When you have to make a choice, how do you decide which type of bariatric surgery is best for you? Like many other patients before you, you may know you want to undergo weight loss surgery, but you just aren’t sure which procedure to choose. Set up a weight loss consultation with one of our bariatric surgeons to see which one is best suited to your personal situation.
Two popular types of weight loss surgery for you to consider are gastric bypass / gastric sleeve and the lap band. A gastric sleeve is an operation which surgically reduces the size of the stomach to reduce food intake. Lap band surgery involves implanting a medical device around the stomach to control eating.
Gastric bypass is surgery that helps you lose weight by changing how your stomach and small intestine handle the food you eat. After the surgery, your stomach will be smaller and you will feel full with less food. The food you eat will no longer go into some parts of your stomach and small intestine that absorb food.
Bariatric surgeons who undertake weight loss surgery are aware that it is important to select patients who are most likely to benefit from it. At Landauer, we ensure that our clients only undergo weight loss surgery if it is right for them by only selecting patients who fall under the following:
- For gastric bypass surgery the patient must have a BMI of over 35.
- For lap band surgery, the BMI must be over 30.
- All patients must be aged 18 or over.
- Other methods of weight loss have been tried without success.
- There is no specific metabolic or psychological reason behind the patient’s obesity.
- The patient has sufficient knowledge and understanding of the weight loss surgery and what changes it will produce.
- The patient is motivated to have the weight loss surgery and make the necessary post-operative lifestyle changes.